From December 2009 through the spring of 2010 I'll be traveling by
motorcycle from Boulder, Colorado through Mexico, Central America and South
America.


The purpose of this trip is simple- to live in the moment, enjoy life, see the world, make some great memories and maybe learn a thing or two along the way.


Saturday, December 26, 2009

12-21-09 Tampico

Had a good ride through the countryside today.  Things are finally starting to look like Mexico should with tons of palm trees and thick vegetation.  I crossed the Tropic of Cancer along the way and stopped for a quick picture which reminded me to start taking my malaria meds. 

I pulled off the road at a litle road-side restaurant of sorts for lonche.  You could order chickens in increments of a half up to 1.5.  I opted for the half which was nicely barbecued and hacked up.  Sides included half a sausage, hot dog and bean soup (A staple at the mine in Chihuahua) rice and chips and salsa all washed down with Mexican Coke.  (No, mother, not cocaine.  Coca-Cola, it's a different blend made from sugar cane, quite good).

I made it to Tampico around noon.  Traffic was unbelievable.  Not slow going, just very hectic.  Cars seem to interpret traffic laws and signs as mere suggestions.  In towns in the States I always ride on either the left or right side of a lane, rarely in the middle as that's where the sand, road debris and oil slicks tend to be.  I started with my usual riding technique here as well but quickly found that it wasn't going to work.  If I were to ride on the right side of my lane then a car would pull up alongside me on the right, within my lane.  I guess I'll just have to ride in the middle from now on.

I was on a loop circumnavigating the city when I found a nice hotel with a gated parking garage, so I took a room.  It was much nicer than the night before, free soap!  I hopped in a taxi to go to el Metro, a huge modern museum but was disappointed to find it closed upon arriving.  Unfortunately the Metro was off by itself and a 15 minute walk was required to get another taxi. 

Upon getting in my new taxi I didn't know where I was going so I told the driver to take me some place interesting.  He dropped me off in central plaza, a good choice.  There were dozens of 'boleros' (shoe shiners) set up in little booths polishing away.  I got a smoothie and sat on a park bench and people watched for a while, enjoying the first warm weather of the trip.

3 comments:

  1. Love it buddy!!! I am so jealous right now, not too sure the military would let me disappear for a few months so I will just have to live through you for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see the world through your eyes for even a few hours. How everything must seem smaller...When you wake up in the morning, what is most often your first thought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Ben,

    I'm not sure if you know it or not ... but you have some excellent writing technique; looks like you are having a blast. Live it up!!

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete