From December 2009 through the spring of 2010 I'll be traveling by
motorcycle from Boulder, Colorado through Mexico, Central America and South
America.


The purpose of this trip is simple- to live in the moment, enjoy life, see the world, make some great memories and maybe learn a thing or two along the way.


Friday, March 19, 2010

3-2-10 Cali, Colombia

Had a long ride today through lots of coffee fincas and winding roads that were some of the best I've seen.  The prevalence of amazing motorcycle roads is astonishing down here. Colorado has quite a few but are often plagued with sand and cracks from the freeze/thaw cycle of winter. Being that it doesn't snow down here, the roads stain in good shape much longer. 

We hit town and were pleased to find the usual case of one way streets with no street signs.  After a few laps and figure-eights we made it to Casa Blanca and were warmly welcomed by their owner with a round of beers as we were dismounting.  The owner is Danish, his wife is Colombian.  He had been doing a similar trip as mine when he met his little Colombiana and got married. They now have a little baby running around the place.

The main order of business in Cali was to get a new windshield fabricated for my bike.  We found the shop, explained everything I wanted in the new windshield and paid $50 of the $100 it would cost.  They assured me it would be done in the morning.

Dinner that night was unique. Perhaps dinner isn't the right word.  Meat mound with poking sticks would be more appropriate. Mark and I split a 'picadilla'. I didn't know exactly what it was, just knew it contained the various critters. Turns out we had a mound full of chicken, beef and chorizo. It was all very good. On the way back we were propositioned by 'lady of the night' with a 'Hola chico' followed by the classic lower lip bite/sultry look. Don't you wish you a guy for this very reason? A simple 'no gracias' and we kept walking.

The next day we went to the shop and realized that they hadn't started on my windshield and that it would take another day at least. I decided not to even bother with it as tomorrow they'd say 'tomorrow' as well.  I got my money and bike back before buying a piece of plexiglass which I took over to a small shop where a friendly mechanic and I fabricated a nice little shield for $7.

No comments:

Post a Comment