From December 2009 through the spring of 2010 I'll be traveling by
motorcycle from Boulder, Colorado through Mexico, Central America and South
America.


The purpose of this trip is simple- to live in the moment, enjoy life, see the world, make some great memories and maybe learn a thing or two along the way.


Friday, March 5, 2010

2-4-10 Rivas, Costa Rica

I went to my usual breakfast spot before heading out for a run on the beach with my temporary pet dog, Chispa.  As always, he was a few steps behind me no matter how fast I ran. He had a bit of a diagonal gait and had a tongue that bounced around a lot.  He'd occasionally dart off into the jungle before resuming his position right behind me.  Chispa had followed me for the past day and a half.  He'd wait outside of restaurants for me, follow me to the beach and even sleep outside my door. 

I couldn't take Manuel Antonio anymore.  Way too hot and humid there, and just another beach  in my opinion.  Beaches are fun for a couple days then I get restless.  The whole 'beach vacation' thing has always seemed a bit strange to me, especially the way Americans vacation.  For some reason we think we're supposed to get great pleasure out of blowing lots of mony on being lazy in the sun. 
I packed up the bike wearing nothing but my boxers, frequently taking breaks on the little the bench outside my room.  I'd flop down and watch beads of sweat roll down my chest into my bellybutton.  Chispa was nearby as usual and I watched him drink out of a waterbottle that one of the groundskeepers had left open by darting his tongue inside like a anteater. 
.
It was an unpleasant few minutes putting on my boots, pants and jacket before saying adios to Chispa.  I  rode off to the south, paralleling the coast on a winding road that snaked through surgar cane and pineapple plantations. I rode for a while and thought I should have made a turn already so stopped at a little roadside cafe for ceviche and tamarindo juice, both excellent.  The waitress gave me directions back to where I should have turned inland.

After a few hours of riding I made it to a small unmarked road that I was told would lead me to Rivas, a little mountain town and the base camp for lots of volcano hiking in the area.  I wasn't planning on doing any hikes as every volcano I've ever seen has been stuck in the clouds providing no view.  Instead I found some hotsprings to soak in instead but not before I dumped the bike yet again on a steep gravel section.  Gotta make the day somewhat difficult in order to truly enjoy the hotsprings.  After parking and trudging up to the little office for the springs some sneaky dog crept up behind me and bit my heel before darting off to safety where we exchanged dirty looks.

I stayed at the Pelican Inn which is a cool little resort-like place of by itself with a pool and some cabanas as well as some little rooms above the restaurant which is where I'm located.  There are no room numbers, just bird names. I had room 'Colibri' (hummingbird).

No comments:

Post a Comment