From December 2009 through the spring of 2010 I'll be traveling by
motorcycle from Boulder, Colorado through Mexico, Central America and South
America.


The purpose of this trip is simple- to live in the moment, enjoy life, see the world, make some great memories and maybe learn a thing or two along the way.


Sunday, March 7, 2010

2-13-10 Panama City, Panama

Adam had heard that one could make a small backpacking stove out of beer cans so we set out to do just that.  I'll let him tell the story here as he does a proper job of it on his blog at http://bridginggaps.com.au/ just click on the "NEW" tab on the left side of the screen then "DIY compact gas cooker...."

I packed up in Boquete, said my goodbyes to Adam and Claudia then pointed the bike towards Panama City where I would be staying at another 'Mamallena' hostel owned by Stuart as well.  He said that the place was full for Carnival but that he'd find a place for me somewhere which ended up being a comfy hammock on an outdoor balcony.

The ride in was exciting as I rode over the Panama Canal on a huge bridge, looking towards the Pacific to the right and mountains, city and a mass of vessels to the left.  The Canal is interesting from a logistical perspective but nothing terribly amazing in person.  You wouldn't know you were at the Panama Canal if not for the signs all around stating just that.  Essentially, the Canal links a series of lakes together but more importantly allows boats to travel uphill and downhill with locks which are essentially water elevators.

I'd been to Panama City before and quickly made it to their huge mall where massages are to be had for a quarter the price as back home.  I fell asleep several times in my chair and awoke startled as to why I was being jabbed in the back.  After my massage I went to their little food court where I tried some Panamanian Taco Bell which was no different from States. Upon ordering, the cashier asked me my name. "Benjamin" I replied (I alway go by Benjamin in Spanish speaking countries as 'Ben' sounds like the word for 'come' in Spanish which gets confusing.)  Speaking of confusing, the lady gave me a weird look, then typed my name onto the receipt before handing it to me.  She hadn't written 'Benjamin', but 'WLADAMIR' which they called when my order was ready.

That night Stuart took me out to Carnival which is quite big in Panama City.  While walking around the sea of people I saw a hand lunge at my face and unload a cloud of debris.  Without hesitatingI spun to my left and returned fire with my empty beer can, bouncing it off  the assailant's madulla oblongatta and sending a stream of foam into the air.  I instantly felt bad as I realized it was a girl my age who had just tossed a handfull of confetti at me. I felt worse when Stuart told me thowing confetti at people is a sign of affection. So if you're reading this, poor girl, I'm sorry. Call Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment