From December 2009 through the spring of 2010 I'll be traveling by
motorcycle from Boulder, Colorado through Mexico, Central America and South
America.


The purpose of this trip is simple- to live in the moment, enjoy life, see the world, make some great memories and maybe learn a thing or two along the way.


Wednesday, April 21, 2010

4-7-10 Los Antiguos, Argentina

Somewhat lost, but in a good place nonetheless. We took a wrong fork in the road not long after crossing into Argentina from Chile. Looking at our map we saw a fork and thought we should take the left one. Looking back, we shouldn’t have taken it, the proper fork on the map was a few more kilometers off. We saw a sign for Los Antiguos and couldn’t find it on the map as it was much farther north than we were looking, on the shores of Lago Buenos Aires.


The road wasn’t bad, though. Freshly graded in some parts, nasty in others. We didn’t see a single car since crossing into Argentina to when we hit Los Antiguos about a hundred miles away. We saw a good variety of animals- condors, armadillos, ostriches, alpacas and sheep by the hundred. I came around a corner to find a large alpaca on the road that was hemmed in by a cliff face and a river. He saw me and took off running down the road in front of me, legs flailing all about. Alpacas run like uncoordinated girls. I stayed about 20 feet off his rump, not wanting stress him too much and he eventually stumbled off the road and let me pass.

Later on I was riding along when I heard what sounded like steam hissing out of the bike. I did a sweeping glance over my gauges and all looked proper so I pulled over to see what was the matter. Upon stopping, I noticed a mess of twisted fence wire had become entangled in my crash bar and right boot and was dragging on the ground. Luckily it didn’t get caught in the rear wheel as well or I might be looking for a peg-leg and a trike.

No comments:

Post a Comment